In This Section
2006 European Championships
At the beginning of August, New Anniesland played host to four matches in the European Cricket Council's Championships.
Strathclyde Police called upon Accies at the eleventh hour to host two Israeli games, expected to attract up to several hundred protestors, due to the extra security afforded by the perimeter fence. The best thing to come out of the switch was that it allowed the club to meet the French team, against whom they later played a Twenty20 friendly.
The major attraction at New Anniesland was the Scotland v Denmark game, where a reasonable sized and enthusiastic crowd was treated to a thrilling contest, if not the best weather of the summer. Fraser Watts' 171* was the highest ever score for Scotland, while the match itself, aided by Messrs Duckworth and Lewis, went right to the last ball.
Accies came out of the tournament receiving praise from all quarters, most notably former Test-Match umpire John Holder. Accies is hoping that all the positive press will convince Cricket Scotland to allocate some future international/representative matches to the club.
Full scorecards are available to view here, along with over-by-over commentary of Scotland v Denmark.
Accies is grateful to many people for their help and efforts over the week of the Championships and particularly during the Scottish Game.
- To Robert Cheape and his team of groundstaff (Gary, Alex, Zander and Euan) for preparing fantastic pitches and presenting the ground beautifully, despite the best efforts of the elements.
- Ken Barron and his catering team for preparing the food and running the bars at all games. The barbecue at the Scotland game has attracted much praise.
- Carlsberg, Ernst and Young and WM Mann for taking corporate hospitality at the Scotland game.
- WM Mann Investments Ltd for sponsorship of the Scotland game on top of corporate hospitality.
- Scoreboard Sports for the donation of a signature bat, which was signed by all players/officials at the Scotland game and will be displayed in the clubhouse.
- All club volunteers for their efforts setting up the ground/moving sight-screens/managing covers and groundsheets. A special mention to Stuart Murray and Ian Smart for running "the fastest scoreboard" John Holder has ever seen.
- Hillary Atkinson for her PA announcements.